Mapping the Crim Dell

January 17, 2018

-By Erin O’Hara

We are tree people now. This semester, Maura Finna (2020), Kelsey Robarts (2017, SoB), and I continued a storied EcoAmbassador project, Crim Dell Mapping. We began the semester with maps and data left from the semesters before and took off running, identifying all of the trees in the Crim Dell. Our goal was to create a map of Crim Dell trees that could change and be used for many years to come. We created a skeleton and it’s up to future twamps to create an incredible body of work.

This is the map that was produced after Fall 2016.

My favorite part of this project was learning how to identify trees. We employed the expertise of our advisor, Professor Beth Chambers, and used East Coast flora identification guides to name all of the trees with diameters of greater than four inches. Now I am able to identify many species of trees on campus and around Virginia, a skill that comes in handy sometimes.

My new favorite tree is a Sycamore, or Platanus occidentalis

There is also an ArcGIS desktop version, located in the Center for Geospatial Analysis at William and Mary database.

This is the ArcGIS Desktop version of our map.

For further information on this project or for help using our data, feel free to contact me at eaohara@email.wm.edu.

erin 4

Trees-out, my fellow flora enthusiasts!

Entry Filed under: Spring 2018. .

About:

Welcome to Hark Upon the Green! This blog is a shared space for members of the sustainability community at William & Mary to write about sustainability topics on and beyond.

If you would like to contribute to the blog, contact sustain@wm.edu

Make sure to visit Sustainability at W&M for all of W&M's progress on sustainability efforts.

Catch up with William & Mary Sustainability on Twitter at WM_GreenisGold
and on Instagram @wm_sustainability

To learn what William & Mary's Environmental Law Society is up to, visit their blog at http://envirols.blogs.wm.edu/.

Archives

RSS WM_GreenisGold